I know, I know – sometimes it seems like Meg and I might be the same person. We get that a lot. Really, though, there are plenty of things we don’t have in common. She loves Jane Austen and I…most definitely do not. Actually, I think that’s probably the biggest thing we disagree on. So, in no particular order, here are five things that we both love.
1. Monty Python Meg is a big fan of referencing Dennis the Peasant at every opportunity. If there is even a hint of repression, she digs out screencaps and starts quoting. I’m the same way, but I’m more inclined to start babbling about coconuts, swallows and silly walks.
2. Harry Potter This one is kind of a no-brainer. I obviously talk about Harry Potter all the time, even when the connections to the actual conversation are tenuous at best. I’ve already told you all how we use Snape as our favourite expletive, and we have had many fun chats bashing the movies and going off on tangents about minor characters. Good times.
3. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy One of the few books/series we both have on our favourites list. I firmly believe that everyone over the age of 13 needs to read and love the work of Douglas Adams. I don’t care if you don’t like science fiction, what do you have against funny?!
4. Doctor Who Of course. We’re obsessed. While we don’t necessarily agree on all of the companions, we both adore the Doctor. We need a TARDIS, like, yesterday and you’ll find little references frequently peppered throughout our posts.
5. Neil Gaiman This actually ties in with #4 since he wrote one of our favourite episodes! I found Sandman in high school and have never looked back, devouring everything I can find that he’s written. Meg’s favourites are Coraline and Neverwhere (which I also love). I’ve forced so many copies of American Gods and Good Omens on people that I should qualify for a bulk discount.
….and now that these things are all lined up in a row, we realize that the thing we have most in common is our Anglophilia. We totally need cool accents. [sad face]